Raspberry-Rose Elixer Recipe – Dr. Shah, ND
Have you heard about ‘moon milk’? It is a term coined for a hot, bedtime non-dairy milk beverage that contains adaptogen(s). Adaptogens are herbs that help to modulate the adrenal glands. These include herbs such as rhodiola, schisandra, licorice, holy basil, ashwagandha, ginseng and others. What you need to know is that not all adaptogens work the same – some can be stimulating to the adrenals so this helps when people are feeling depleted. Some can be downregulating and are meant for those who are overproducing cortisol.
Symptoms of adrenal dysfunction can be fluctuating energy levels, low energy, afternoon crashes, difficulty falling asleep, waking up in the middle of the night, feeling unrefreshed waking up, blood sugar imbalances, cholesterol imbalances, weight issues, women may experience irregular cycles, feeling too tired post-exercise, that ‘wired but tired’ feeling at the end of the day, sugar/salt cravings, and more. Adrenal dysfunction can occur from stress in one’s life – emotional stress and physiological stress (surgeries, multiple injuries, various health conditions). A detailed health history and review of your symptoms can determine the degree of your adrenal dysfunction. Functional laboratory testing provides more objective results on your cortisol and other hormone levels.
For ‘moon milk’, I recommend using ashwagandha powder as this is designed to help promoting a good night’s sleep.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (Silk is carrageenan free)
- A handful of frozen (thawed) or fresh raspberries
- ½ to 1 tsp Organic Traditions Ashwagandha powder
- Rosewater (available in Middle-Eastern or South Asian grocery stores
- Blend the milk and raspberries in a blender
- Heat the milk in a saucepan on low heat (simmer) and add the ashwagandha powder and a splash of rosewater.
- Heat until warm and if you would like some frothiness on top, you can bring it to a rapid boil for a few seconds. Don’t boil it vigorously or else the particulates in the nut/coconut milk will separate from the water and your milk will look grainy.
- Enjoy and hope you have a good night’s sleep!
You can always book a naturopathic initial appointment if you are curious about your adrenal and hormone health – let’s restore your adrenals before you crash and hit ‘rock-bottom’ energy levels as it can take 6 months sometimes if not longer to restore adrenal function. Some health benefit plans are covering naturopathic diagnostic testing so if you have unused coverage which expires December 31st, why not make use of it!