Meat & Veggie Lasagna (paleo friendly) – Recipe by Dr. Sarah Kent |ND
Serving Size: 6
Cook temp: 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 177 degrees Celsius
Time to cook: 45min
Prep time: 25min
This dish is paleo friendly (dairy free & wheat free). It’s tasty and easy to make. Double this recipe for 2 lasagnas and freeze one or depending how large your family is, eat throughout the week as dinner or lunches.
You will need:
- Chopping block
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Frying pan
- 9 X 13” baking dish
- 2 cups of mushrooms sliced
- 2 X 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3X cloves of garlic minced
- 1 pepper chopped (any colour)
- 1 lb of ground turkey (if doubling, try 1 lb of ground turkey & 1 lb of ground pork)
- 3 X zucchini (sliced lengthwise in thin strips)
- 1 head of broccoli (florets chopped into bite sized bits)
- 2 x 15oz cans of tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 1 X 6oz can tomato paste
- 2tbsp basil
- 2 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp of oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- purple cabbage – chopped in any way as garnish for the top
- Prepare all ingredients, measure, dice etc.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in frying pan and fry mushrooms until golden brown, set aside in bowl
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil and fry onions until golden brown then add garlic for 30 sec. Add meat and cook, breaking meat up until cooked through.
- To meat mixture, add peppers, broccoli, tomato sauce, tomato paste, all spices. Stir and bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Place a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, layer zucchini strips as you would lasagna noodles, top with mushroom, sauce and repeat until your sauce has been used up (I typically end with a thin layer of sauce)
- Top with purple cabbage.
- Cover with tin foil
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) for 20 min. Remove tin foil and bake for another 20minutes.
*note! Because there are no lasagna noodles this dish will not hold together as would typical lasagna so will be a little messier. It will taste wonderful.