Almond Milk – DR. SARAH KENT
Often I’m asking patient to abstain from cow’s milk and / or all dairy for many reasons, one of which it seems to increase inflammation for many and exacerbate GUT, skin and hormone concerns. There are many ways to see if this is an issue with you, by either removing it for a few weeks then systematically re-introducing or testing for allergies or sensitivities.
When not consuming milk, or even if you are, try some almond milk as part of your diet. Although some people may have an allergy and / or a sensitivity to almonds, often its not as common as with cow’s milk. If you can’t tolerate almonds then substitute with other nuts that you can tolerate and / or enjoy.
If buying almond milk at your grocery store, assess for other ingredients. Often there are fillers and stabilizes and added sugar. Be mindful of this and aim for no-sugar added products for a more hypoallergenic experience. This recipe is as simple as it gets and is surprisingly tasty.
Prep time: 8 Hrs 15min (5min prep + 8hours soak + 10min finish)
- 2 cups of almonds, raw. Skins on.
- 4 cups of water (to soak)
- 3 cups of water (to make)
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla powder or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- High speed blender / food processor
- Cheese cloth or *nut milk bag
- Soak 2 cups of almonds in 4 cups of water in a glass container with lid for 8hrs – 12hrs in a dark place, covered.
- Drain fluid
- Blend almonds in a high-speed blender / food processor until well blended / puréed. Roughly 2 min.
- Strain the mixture in batches through cheesecloth or via a *nut milk bag. Ensure that your technique renders a dry “meal” substance that no liquid is left.
- (The meal can be dried in the oven at 200°F for 2-3 hrs and used as flour replacement in many recipes)
- Add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla powder OR 1 tsp of vanilla extract and mix well.
- Store in fridge for up to 4 days.
What to do with the milk?
- Consume straight
- Add to your healthy breakfast cereal
- Add to smoothies
- Add to coffee / tea
* Available at community natural foods & amazon (see link)
Benefits of Almonds
Great source of:
- Vitamin E
- Fats that are cardio protective
Have been shown favorable for cholesterol levels and cardio protective