Lovely Chocolate Torte – By Dr. Sarah Kent, ND
Love the one your with – and celebrate with chocolate this Valentines.
In the movie Water for Chocolate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_Water_for_Chocolate), it is suggested the emotion with which you cook becomes transfused into the food and the experience of those who consume it. If for example you are happy and joyful, those dining on your food will also become happy and joyful. So make this recipe with love and your loved one on your mind and indulge this Valentine’s day!
This recipe is paleo friendly, which also means no eggs, dairy or grains. It’s no bake and it’s delicious. As always feel free to play around with the ingredients, types of nuts, ratio of chocolate etc to make it your own creation.
Pairs well with organic red wine, roses and love.
This will make:
- 12 servings, depending of course on how you cut it!
You will need:
- 7 inch spring form pan
- Wax paper or parchment paper
- Mixing utensil
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor / blender / Vita Mix etc
- 2 cups of roasted & cooled pecans, chopped
- 1 cup of roasted & cooled filberts / hazelnuts (or almonds), chopped
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 large ripe avocados or 3 small (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk (full fat, canned)
- 1 tbsp of almond butter
- 1 tsp – 3 tsp of thickening agent (ie arrowroot powder)
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 8 ounces of dark chocolate, melted and stil warm
- 2 oz of semisweet chocolate
- 2 oz of dark chocolate
- ½ cup of canned coconut milk (full fat thick kind)
- Line the spring form pan with parchment paper
- Add all the ingredients for the crust into a bowl and mix until combined
- Press into bottom of spring form pan evenly
- Place in freezer
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate, into mixing apparatus (food processor, vita mix etc)
- When mixed add the chocolate until mixed in
- Pull crust from freezer and fill with the filling
- Place back in freezer for at least 2 hours after which top with Grenache and keep in fridge.
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, remove from heat and pour over chocolate that has been broken down into ½ ounce chunks and stir until melted.
- Can spread over torte once all chocolate has been dissolved.
- Keep in fridge and wait a few minutes to cut and serve after pulling out of fridge.