Home Remedy to Build Immune Wellness in Cold & Flu Season – Dr. Sarah Kent |ND
ONION / GARLIC / HONEY SYRUP
- 1 red or yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of organic raw honey
- A glass jar with a lid (ie Mason Jar)
- Slice the onion evenly. Place the base of the onion in your jar.
- Layer onions with peeled garlic cloves between each layer
- Pour honey over mixture
- Cover tightly and let sit in fridge for 8-12 hours. Keep in fridge thereafter as well.
- Take 1 tablespoon 3-4 times per day of the liquid. If you desire, you can consume onion & garlic whole. For cough, can take 3 spoonfuls per hour (wet or dry cough)
Repeat as needed until resolution of sickness. Will last 4 days in the fridge.
Onion – Allium Cepa antimicrobial (bacteria fungi). Used for sore throat, lymphadenopathy, ear infections.
Garlic – Allium sativa antimicrobial (bacteria, fungi, protozoal). Used for upper respiratory tract infections, cough, hoarseness, ear infections
Honey – soothing, cough suppressant activity, helps to rid body of mucous. Recent study found giving honey to children at bed time was as effective as suppressing coughs and improving sleep as was pharmaceutically active cough syrup. (3)
Godfrey, A., Saunder, P. Naturopathic Botanical Medicine Volume 1. Toronto. CCNM Press 2010
Steckelberg, James M.D. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/honey/AN01799. 1998-2013